Thursday, August 20, 2009

My Mom's Awesome Potato Salad

This one goes out to my good friend Jodie S. who cut my hair today!

My Mom's Awesome Potato Salad
2 lbs. Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes (I leave the skins on)
1 small onion, finely chopped--and I do mean finely!
1/4c. your favorite Italian dressing (I use Paul Newman)
1 tsp. table salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
Heat 2 quarts of water, salted with 2 Tbsp. kosher salt, to boiling. Add potatoes. Return water to boiling and reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook until the potatoes are tender, takes about 15 minutes.
Drain the potatoes and place in a large plastic bowl. While the potatoes are still hot toss with the onions, dressing, salt and pepper. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours to marinate--I usually leave the bowl in overnight.
1/2c. Mayonnaise
1 medium stalk celery, finely chopped
4 small garlic dill pickles (polish dills will work too), chopped
6 hard boiled eggs, chopped** see note below
3 Tbsp. French's yellow mustard
Just before serving toss all of the above listed ingredients with the potatoes.
Makes 4 to 6 servings

Note: Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs
In a saucepan heat enough water to cover the eggs to boiling. Ladle eggs into boiling water and return the water to boiling. Cover and reduce heat to low, cook for 15 minutes. Rinse eggs in cold water.

No comments:

Post a Comment